Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Not Made to be Broken...

It's January 1, 2014.  People everywhere are resolving themselves to do something differently than what they did in 2013...lose weight...gain weight...spend less...save more...fall in love...give to charity...embark on a new career...take a chance.  But, isn't that what resolutions are about anyway?  Taking a chance on ourselves...to try something, whether we succeed or fail?  I've never really been a fan of cliche New Year's resolutions.  I've set goals for myself, with reluctance.  It always seemed like I was setting myself up for disappointment.  Somehow, though, this year seems different, like I'm ready to grab this year by the horns.

Last year, I started a pinterest board and titled it "not made to be broken".  I filled it with things I wanted to do better in 2013.  Did I accomplish all that I set out to do?...well, not so much...but, looking back, I'm okay with that.  While the board was titled literally because of the resolutions it represented to me, it was more symbolic in it's meaning for me.  You see, I was reminding myself that "I" am not made to be broken.  I am not that fragile.  God crafted me intentionally...with ideas and plans and designs for my life...equipping me with all that I would need to succeed through him. 

So, here it is...January 1, 2014, and I am renewing that commitment.  I've known for a long time that my spirit is strong and that my faith is unshakeable.  However, there are certainly areas of my life where I have struggled...things about myself  that bring me down...that leave me feeling defeated and broken.  But, it's a new year.  It's the perfect opportunity for a fresh start, and I don't have to live down to my own expectations (or anyone else's) anymore.  And contrary to what society tries to tell us, I don't have to put myself first OR last to be a better me.  I just need to wake up each day with my heart looking upward and my eyes on the prize...the prize being me as a better child of God...a better wife...a better mother...a better ME!  I have my list...still tweeking it, but I'll share it soon :)   Happy New Year 2014!!

"I can do all things, through Christ who gives me strength." - Phil. 4:13

No comments: